TMS | Seoul, Korea Urban Traffic Information System
To solve heavy traffic congestion in Seoul, Seoul Metropolitan City had installed and operated vehicle detectors and CCTVs. However, there were some limitations such as road network coverage and accuracy of traffic information. In addition, it was required to find a more cost-effective way to collect and provide the traffic information for road users.
Therefore the Seoul government decided to develop a UTIS (Urban Traffic Information System) to enhance traffic efficiency, traffic safety and citizen convenience. The UTIS focused on providing the real-time traffic information service in urban area using the cutting-edge wireless communication. This system consisted of RSE (Road-side Equipment), OBE (On-board Equipment) and CNS (Car Navigation System).
LG CNS provided services related to the design, supply, installation and maintenance of UTIS solution for urban area including RSE, OBE and CNS. The RSE installed at road could communicate and transmit data with vehicles installed with OBE. The OBE and the CNS installed at a vehicle could receive data through RSE and provide to the driver with real-time and convenience information.
The solution designed by LG CNS for Seoul UTIS is comprised of:
- Main Center (Server, Storage, Video Wall, Backup PCs, Network equipment, DBMS, etc.)
- Fiber optic network along the entire expressway
ITS Control Center
- Control room with video wall
- Data collection and processing
- Real-time information service through web and mobile
- Road Equipment : RSE, CCTV
- Vehicle Equipment : OBE, CNS
- Provide real-time traffic information with reliability (i.e. travel time, CCTV video clip, incident, etc.)
- Reduce travel time by increasing average speed of urban road
- Enhance safety and optimum service for transport system users
- Reduce air pollution and congestion caused by motor vehicles