TMS | Seoul, Korea Traffic Operation and Information Service
Seoul needed to resolve traffic problems, including relieving congested areas and responding to unexpected situations by collecting miscellaneous information on traffic, including bus operation and public transportation use data, as well as data on traffic volume, traffic flow speed, unexpected incidents (including accidents and street protests etc.), highway status data, and traffic data from private companies. Seoul intended to establish scientific public transportation policies through analysis of this data.
Seoul TOPIS(Traffic Operation and Information Service) is a comprehensive traffic management center for overall management of Seoul’s traffic situation by collecting traffic data from the bus main control office and the traffic card system, unmanned traffic enforcement systems, and traffic related organizations like the Korea Traffic Broadcasting System, the Seoul Police Headquarters, and the Korea Highway Corporation.
TOPIS was created to link and merge Seoul’s traffic data, which had previously been managed in a dispersed fashion, by consolidating traffic flow data, bus data, and video data to create a representative picture for the entire Seoul area. Through diverse and scientific data analysis along with transportation card data, TOPIS could provide an objective basis for decision making in transportation policies of Seoul.
Integration of traffic information
- Interface and integration of external transport systems
- Real-time traffic monitoring and control
Supporting Strategic Decision-make
- Establishment of integrated operation system for metro and bus
- Interface with traffic signal system
- Expansion of public information service
- Provide integrated traffic information services by combining, integrating, and managing several independently operated traffic information systems.
- Support local governments in scientific traffic administration and policy making.
- Make traveling in and around the city (on public transit in particular) safer and more convenient by providing diverse traffic information in real time.